Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Week 3 First poem memorized! Finding a native speaker and IZ culture



Week 3

Word of the Week:  ruaa ‘mouth’
(While glancing at an IZ body-parts diagram at the top of a pile of papers next to my computer, I noticed ruaa, and had an ah-ha moment.  In memorizing the poem Bidxi, I learned the word ruaangola ‘wide-mouthed,’ but didn’t know which part of this word was ‘wide’ and which part was ‘mouthed.’  Noticing the word ruaa with an arrow pointing to a woman’s mouth answered my question!)   

Learning Experience
           
First major success:  I am overwhelmed with this weeks’ task of updating you all on what I have accomplished in the past few days.  There is too much to report on, so I will try to give you the highlights.  Number one, I memorized my first Isthmus Zapotec poem!!!  I can now recite Bidxi ‘Frog’ aloud and write it from memory.  I included this poem in my last blog if you want to look at it.  It is only eight lines, but it was a little more challenging to learn than I expected because I did not have the benefit of hearing this poem read by the author, Víctor Terán, in the Podcast.  I thought that each poem I had printed was included in the Podcast; but after listening to the Podcast all over again and numbering the printed copies, I discovered I had 12 poems rather than 10.  Bidxi was the only children’s poem of the bunch, so I guess it would have not sounded right read with a bunch of poetry about love and lust.  Anyways, my pronunciation probably is terrible at this point, but you have to start somewhere. 
Discovery learning:  I learned some cool grammatical things as I was updating my bibliography.  I was in the process of weeding out my materials when I found a few grammatical gems in Quiegolani Zapotec Syntax by Cheryl Black (2000).  As anyone might guess, this book is about a Zapotec language other than Isthmus, but Black provides tidbits of IZ grammar.  I learned that IZ does not use intonation to mark questions or even exclamations, but rather uses lexical markers.  I always turn to my collection of Terán poems for language examples when I read something about the grammar in another source.  I was able to find examples of some of the features mentioned by Black.  I observed the required yes/no marker la at the end of a line in the poems “I Woke with Your Name/Bibaneniáˈ laluˈ” and “Whirlwind/Yudé cuyaa.”  I also noticed in both poems the marker yaˈ being used at the end of context questions.  It is interesting that in these two poems a question mark is used with the yes/no marker la, but does not accompany the content question marker yaˈ.  I also noticed in the Podcast poetry readings that Terán uses a rising intonation at the end of yes/no questions marked with la and punctuated with a question mark.  (This intonation is consistent with English.)  So, is Terán being artistic with his intonation, or is Black’s data incomplete?  One last mention about markers, I did not see an example of this in any of Terán’s poems, but xa used at the end of a sentence or utterance provides emphasis or exclamation.                
Searching for a native speaker:  A huge part of my efforts over the past few days, have been in trying to locate in the Los Angeles area (or at least somewhere in California) a native Isthmus Zapotec speaker.  I have contacted many people who have then referred me to others, and then to others again.  My last contact informed me that I’d have to go to New Jersey or possibly Tiajuana to find a community of IZ speakers.  This contact also told me that not very many people migrate from this region of Oaxaca.  Perhaps it has a better economy than most.  I do believe it has a good tourism industry.  I am not giving up, though; even to find just one speaker in this area.  I would really like to get in touch with David Shook, Terán’s poetry translator.  In the meantime, I will follow up on all of my leads and see where they take me.  (Tiajuana isn’t that far…)
IZ Culture:  I have been learning a lot about the Isthmus Zapotec culture.  I have watched YouTube videos of a cultural festival of traditional dancing and singing.  The women’s traditional garments are dresses covered in large, brightly colored flowers made by needlepoint.  I watched a trailer of a video called “Blossoms of Fire” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA8MmmrX-6s that talks with the local women about their role in the community.  They are said to have a matriarchal society.  When asked if this is true, the women would deny it, but then proceed to describe how they are the administrators, the money handlers, and the deal makers in business.  According to them, they don’t have a matriarchal society because the men work plenty (video shows men farming).  I don’t think we are using the same definition for “matriarchal.”  Watch the short trailer to see what you think.  In researching Isthmus Zapotec culture online, I also came across many articles and YouTube videos about the Muxhes or gay members of the community.  The Zapotec culture does not discriminate against its gay members, but embraces them, referring to them as the third gender.  Many Zapotec mothers wish to have a gay son because they do not marry and move away, but remain loyal companions to their mothers to the end of life.  The city of Juchitán is known for its openness to sexuality.  One woman said in a video, “It’s not who you are that matters, but what you do.”  A famous saying by former Mexican (zapotee) president Benito Juárez reflects this attitude of tolerance, “Respect for the rights of others is peace.”   
Found a new language-learning tool:  As I said earlier, I was just going to cover the highlights of my learning experiences this week, in which I think I have.  I want to mention one more thing.  One of my email contacts today referred me to Juchitán Zapotec Memrise, an online language-learning course http://www.memrise.com/course/46103/juchitan-zapotec-2/.  It is wonderful!!!  I only had a short time to play with it tonight, but it is a little like Rosetta Stone where it shows the learner a picture with the spoken word, but also includes the orthographic representation in IZ, which is also known as Juchitán Zapotec, and in Spanish.  The goal is to get you to memorize the vocabulary quickly.  The course includes grammar lessons, too.  There are other languages available on this site, but it looks like it is still in the developing stages.  There was a lot offered for Mandarin, not much for Middle Eastern languages, though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment