Monday, April 22, 2013

Week 4 Learning Vocabulary with Memrise



Week 4

Word of the Week:  biadxi ‘plum’
(First word “learned” from Memrise online course.  Didn’t think I was really learning from the memory drills I had done the night before, but when I was preparing my breakfast, I was commenting on how big the blueberries were and compared them to plums.  Immediately, the word biadxi came to mind!)

Learning Experience
           
            I officially registered for the Memrise Juchitán Zapotec, free, online course http://www.memrise.com/course/46103/juchitan-zapotec-2/.  I am giving it a try, seeing how much I can actually learn through this method.  The program claims that it is the fastest way to learn vocabulary in any language.  It uses a Plant-Grow-Harvest metaphor for memorizing words.  The “plant” stage works on short term memory; the “grow” stage works on medium memory (I don’t think ‘medium memory’ is an official term.  How long is ‘medium’?); and the “harvest” stage commits the new vocabulary words to long term memory.  In the “planting” stage, the program repeats the ways of presenting the new words with audio and images.  In the “grow” stage, further practice is given through multiple choice and fill-in-the-blank.  If a question is missed, additional review of the missed word is given.  Once a certain number of 100% are reached, the program “locks” the user out from those words for 4 hours.  After which, the user can return for the “harvest.”  I actually received an email telling me it was time to “harvest.”  The waiting period helps develop long term memory.  
            When I first used this program, I was excited about it, but then became a little skeptical when I found myself having some trouble remembering the new words.  The vocabulary words are introduced 8 or 9 at a time and represent words from a particular consonant that differs from Spanish.  For instance, Spanish does not have the /dx/ [ʤ] or ‘j’ sound as in ‘John,’ so the set of eight vocabulary words all have /dx/ in them.  In this set of words, they also all had the vowel /i/, and many had a /b/.  So basically, most of them looked like the same word to me, for example dxiña ‘sugar’ and dxiiña ‘work.’  Eventually though, I began to distinguish the words and associate meaning.  (By the way, this course is primarily in Spanish and just a little bit of English.  I like that the vocabulary words are in Spanish; it gives me practice in two languages at the same time.  There are just a few Spanish words I don’t know, which I just quickly look up on Google Translate http://translate.google.com.) 
A metacognitive vocabulary-learning analysis: Two of the most difficult vocabulary words to remember were dxiˈbaˈ ‘mounted’ and bidxiˈbaˈ ‘vomited.’  Just seeing the words over and over again on the screen was not enough.  (Perhaps, part of the problem is that there are not any pictures for these two words like there are for the nouns.)  I had to create my own way of telling the words apart.  Here is how I did it.  Firstly, they were the only two words on the list that ended with -ˈba.  I thought that maybe this was a past- tense suffix.  Another thing that I noticed about the two words was that ‘vomited’ looks like ‘mounted’ with the prefix bi-, bi + dxiˈbaˈ = bidxiˈbaˈ.  The imagery that came to my mind was that ‘mounting’ something is getting on something (like a horse) and ‘vomiting’ is ejecting something.  I imagined a cowboy being ejected or launched from the saddle of rodeo horse.  In this way the bi “dismounts” a rider from a horse.  This is now what I think of when I see these two words.  I associate ‘vomiting’ with ‘dismounting’ forcefully.
When I found myself relating words from the Memrise vocabulary to English words that I thought or spoke throughout my day, I realized that I was definitely learning.  So far, I have learned twenty-five new words.  I would highly recommend trying this program for any language at least just for fun http://www.memrise.com/.               

No comments:

Post a Comment