Sunday, May 26, 2013

A Self-Directed Learner



A self-directed learner:  This learning experience has shown me that I can be a much more effective self-directed learner.  My Hebrew learning has involved a half-hazard attempt of self-directed or autonomous learning over the past five years.  (I have had a wonderful tutor, but little accountability nor sense of urgency, and no set goals.)  I have also made attempts at teaching myself Portuguese with some success many years ago.  I have also used independent study for learning Spanish at times when I was not engaged in formal instruction.  I know, however, that I would have had much greater success in these endeavors if I had used an Independent Study Plan as I have done with Isthmus Zapotec.  Goal setting and planning combined with personal accountability is the recipe for greater language-learning success.  This experience has led me to believe that it may be possible for me to reach at least a low level of fluency in any language without having to take classes if I dedicated the time and implement a study plan.  I intend to test this theory with Spanish, since this is the language that I have the most opportunity to use with native speakers and holds the most benefit to me, therefore worth the considerable time investment.  Perhaps I will even blog about it.          
  

No comments:

Post a Comment