Sunday, May 26, 2013

Future Plans for Language Learning



Future plans for language learning:  I did not know how I would feel about continuing with Isthmus Zapotec at the end of this ‘language-learning odyssey’ when I first began.  I feel now that I have an investment in the language and do not want to stop at “Week 10.”  My investment is not just the time and effort put into learning the language, but it is in the Zapotec people that I have spoken with and in the IZ poetry that I have developed affection for.  My investment is in meeting David Shook and being drawn into a community of poets.  I don’t want to let go of this.  Studying Isthmus Zapotec has also reignited my interest in continuing to learn Spanish.  Much of my IZ learning has been in Spanish, therefore continuing to learn IZ would be made easier with increased Spanish skills.  Furthermore, improving my Spanish skills will help me to communicate with the Zapotec community in Los Angeles, since most of them speak Spanish as well.  Ultimately, Spanish will help me as an ESL teacher working with the Hispanic and indigenous communities in Los Angeles.

No comments:

Post a Comment